Thursday, September 17, 2009

On conduit dans les Catons-de-l'Est

Ever wondered what the classic French-Canadian/Québécois sounds like? Perhaps you already speak Molière's French (a.k.a. France-French) and have never ventured into the wondrous region of Quebec? Well let my blog give you a brief glimpse into the language.

I stumbled onto this great video of some Quebecois family letting their 7 year old drive the car in the country.Ah, so irresponsible and so much fun. Most (all?) of you probably can't understand what's being said. If some of you even speak French, you might not be able to get any of the words. But that's okay, just enjoy.




Let me provide you with some translation of what's being said:

Father: Here is my wonderful son, Samuel, who is only 7 years old and driving the car! I'm not even looking to make sure he's driving well! He's so confident. Smile for the camera my beautiful son!

Mother: No no, stop he's going to give me nightmares! Slow down!

Father: Ahaha, you can hear Mom screaming in the back like a chicken! Oh look, and here's our daughter and ..

Mother: Sylvain! SYLVAIN! SAYLVAIN! LOOK WHERE HE'S DRIVING! HE'S TOO CLOSE TO THE SIDE!

Father: Hahaha, see now we've recorded your Mom's nervous temperament, to re-watch for years and years...

[expressions I don't quite hear and/or understand]

Father: And look, my son has sped up to 70km/h (43miles/h). He's crazy! Hahaha, He's going fast - he's going fast! Fast - fast - fast -fast... I love you my little driver!


Just so you know, that is a pretty accurate translation. Maybe slightly too literal, but that was done on purpose to make it more awkward & funny.

The full length video may or may not have ended with them hitting a moose. We will just never know...

1 comment:

Parker London said...

Lol, i'm going back in time to when I was seven and then I'm going to beg my parents to move to Quebec.