Sunday, May 10, 2009

Savage Love

About a year ago, Alicia sent me a link to one of her favorite internet columnists: Dan Savage from Savage Love. This person has been writing a not-so-vanilla sex & relationship column for about 10 years. Although now a growing public figure (he does appear on CNN from time to time when they talk about gay or anti-gay issues), he initially became popular for his hilarious and asshole replies that he would sometimes give out to people who asked for his advice.

Since Alicia introduced me to the site, I've do check back on it from time to time and I always find it super entertaining and interesting to read.

I've decided to link you all to my favorite article from his column archives:
http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=532280
It's about gay teenagers and coping with being gay/hiding you're gay. I don't love this article for the humor or odd situations, like other weeks' entries, but more for its sadness.
If you've read my blog since the beginning, or if you feel like reading it from the start right now (DO IT!) you should know that I have an odd fascination and attraction to sorrowful, trouble and distressing things. I'm pretty sure it relates back to most of my feelings from my teenage life; I just feel like I can relate well to those emotions. I'm not a sad person today, but that doesn't mean that I don't understand. This is also probably why I love to route for the underdog.

Well, the article I've linked is a prime example of people who've been pushed into an ocean on their own, and need to fight against the giant crashing waves without a real hope for someone to save them - at least, not for a while. Dan Savage's replies are definitely good for the situations, but it shows sometimes you just need to bottle up all your feelings inside of you and just run full steam on the rage, anger and hate that comes from inside of you (and from outside of yourself too). That rage, anger and hate might just be the one things that keep you alive and going.

Don't worry, this post isn't all doom and gloom though. The article I linked to also has a nice little ending. The last entry, Savage includes in that week's article, just shows that not everyone has to go through such bad things.

I hope you all learn to love the Savage Love column.

No comments: