Monday, January 5, 2009

Goodbye Gift of the Gods?

As of late, I'm considering giving up drinking any form of alcohol for a month. With all the going-out and partying I've done this holiday season, I feel like it would be a nice change and a good measure of my will, to see if I could do without all that for a bit.

Let me first say that this is in no way related to New Years resolutions, because I think they're stupid. Why choose to change something January 1rst, just because the calendar is done with December. It's only coincidence that I've been thinking about this, at the same time that everyone seems to be making their lame-ass resolutions that will fail in 3 weeks.

Now, to get back on course.

When I drink, I go all-out. I don't ever have 1 beer or a glass of wine with meals. Nope, I much prefer milk or water. I'm the social drinker, that goes out with friends to bars and inevitably ends up sharing at least a pitcher or 3 with others. I consume enough so that I'm always at least buzzed when I'm back home. Big friend gatherings have me downing a lot more drinks, since the bottles flow freely between all of us. When that happens, my mouth does become a little loose. At that stage, I tend just to say whatever I feel like, whether it's truth, lies or something just to push another person's buttons. My friends all know this and they love me for my douche-ness, but I feel like it has gotten to be a bit much.

This short-term prohibition isn't a new idea either. I've had too many days of waking up, knowing that my mind's a bit fried and unfocused. Post-booze days are just complete wastes for me. I end up sitting at the computer or TV, not really wanting to do anything other than veg out. I've thought for at least a month about going dry. I just haven't made the next step.

My friends have all heard the idea of mine and the comments aren't favorable. The majority immediately laugh at the notion of giving up drinking for a month. "I've heard so many friends say that...", "ya right, who does that" and "No, you can't do that" are the popular replies. Xav thinks it would be an interesting idea, since he has seen the jackass that beer releases in me. Liz told me she was excited because she was thinking about doing the same thing.

2 years ago: here I am in my glory - drunkenly thrashing around on the ground

In deciding whether to go ahead with the idea, I've hit a practical snag: I seem to be trying to choose a month that will least effect my partying. Obviously, there's a dysfunction in my plan if potential future drinking is getting in the way of me giving up drinking. A good friend of mine has already told me that I can't start my month of sobriety before her birthday in mid-January. On the off-chance that I do end up seeing Alicia, I will want to go out drinking with her.

Well why can't you just have fun with the, without drinking?, might you ask. Honestly? It's not as fun. Try to convince yourself or anything otherwise, but drinking loosens everyone up, makes shit get wild and creates a great ass time. That's why.

So, I need to do some more thinking and weighing my options. Bite the bullet and go cold turkey now, and simply take the lost, drunken shenanigan-opportunities in stride? Or just admit I could never do it and there's no point? Hmm.

...or just slightly lessen my drinking, thereby consuming in moderation. Of course that shit is too practical, intelligent and simple for me...

No comments: