Sunday, January 18, 2009

So really, I didn't do anything

Instead of going over what I did, from hour to hour and day to day, of my week-long trip in Washington DC and New York, how about I just list the good things/fun things I noticed, overheard or learned?


Ya, I think that would be the best idea too.

Don't take anything I say seriously. Some of what I say is just a split-second, baseless observation...kind of like when some DC friends visited me here, in Montreal, and stereotyped the tiniest things to being cultural norms in the city: like everyone eats green apples, because they saw 4 people doing that when they first got off the train.

Okay, well, here we go:

- In DC, people only wear black coat/pants combos. They might have been born with them.

- NY is always cold. Subways, restaurants, lobbies, hostel rooms, cafes...no one uses heating.

- I get overlly excited when I find unintentionally-Canadian themed paraphernalia in the US.


- According to some gay man, when I'm bored and rudely listening to other peoples' conversations: "I have this theory about Black butts and German butts: they're shaped the same and that's why we both like Hugo Boss".

- The Manhattan "express" subway trains can go blow themselves.

- The DC metro makes me feel like I'm in the future.


- A Girl: "Oh, I'm sorry sir we're all out of soup... Ooohh, it looks like I just broke your heart." Yes. Yes she did.

- Calzones are fucking delicious.

- Crazy people live in "fenced-communities" in Georgetown, a.k.a. Alicia's parents.

- I should have never left Brooklyn.

- All Japanese backpackers yell out, in an extremely stereotypical accent: "Oh No! He is Sumo!" when I lift their bags up two flights of stairs, since they apparently have no muscles.

- I am never a threat, according to the US border guards. The Latina woman sitting near me, however, is always a threat to national security.

- Free Los Campesinos! concerts are extra special.


- People who commute 2 hours in the morning and then evening, to get to/from work in New York, are nuts.

- I have no shame about being creepy and taking a [bad] photo of an unsuspecting stranger, whom I think is hot. What got me? He has a an even layer of stuble, he was pretty intense into reading his book, and had eyes that made he look like a lost puppy. So cute.


- Everyone outside of DC hates everyone in DC. Vice-versa as well.

- Large amounts of fun can be had with 2$ kids gloves and a giant, hollow chocolate Santa for 95% off.


2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

I am so jealous of DC's subway system. I read an article yesterday in which a DC resident was bitching about the "aging" subway system there. What a fucking twat! Try riding Chicago's rails from the early 1900's!

Thomas said...

It's the style of the metro tunnel and the lights that brighten when the cars appear...just amazing.

According to Alicia, the system also used to have a dark, and sexy voice that would announce each upcoming station.