Sunday, December 7, 2008

Good Things to Watch #2

Since the last "Good Things to Watch", I've seen a few movies that I definitely liked. So I thought I would post them up here.


Boy A, simultaneously found on my own, recommended by a blog reader and given high-praise by Liz, is a British movie that's been doing the circuit of film festivals. It's a really touching drama, about a 25 year old who has just been released out into the real world, after living a life confined away from anyone else. With a new identity and coach, he tries to adjust to the world around him, without ever having gotten all that experience socializing and growing up as a kid or a teenager. As with all movies like this, his past comes back to get him.


It's impossible not to fall for the main character - he's incredibly cute, shy and good-hearted. As with the other movies I've recommended on this blog, this one definitely has good underlying themes and raises some questions of about second chances and forgiveness.

The 2nd movie I'm giving a thumbs up to, since naturally I am the epitome of class and good-taste on this blog (....uh, ya....), is the recent Hollywood movie Into the Wild. It has gotten tons of media coverage already, since it was in all the movie theaters...or at least I assume so. Starring Emile Hirsh as the main character, it's the story of newly-graduated young adult in the sixties, who decides to follow the hippy mantra of traveling across the US, Mexico and eventually to Alaska, to find himself and experience the world.


This drama is based on a real person, from start to finish, as he runs into plenty of different people on his travels. The theme of the movie is about relationships, from the eyes of main character, although retold by his sister (the narrator).


Obviously this movie resounds with plenty of people, young and old, who just want to let go of their life and go on the road to see where life takes them. Although the beginning of the movie is a little slow, it does get going and the ending, like with Boy A, is very powerful.

If anyone has any good movie recommendations, please let me know.

I realize none of the above movies have any gay-themes in them. Most gay themed, in my opinion, are unfortunately pretty shitty. Of course, if you do feel like having a funny/lame/light/stupid movie-time, then just watch Not Another Gay Movie 2. I lol'ed plenty of times when I saw it last night.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

Emile Hirsh is fucking hot.

Thomas said...

He can do no wrong!