Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Grandma's rocked it since 1930

I had a talk with my Grandmother today. She's been in Montreal for Easter weekend and is heading back home tomorrow.

We were speaking about what types of places I go out to with friends. After listing off the types of bars/clubs I like, I turned the question back on her and asked what she used to do back when she was my age.

Seems likes her young 1930s life (yup, she's in her mid 90s right now!) was a lot like mine.

Her and her friends would get all dressed up and drive together to a hotel downtown. Back then (at least in her region) bars did not yet exist. Instead, hotels had lounges that offered places for people to relax, socialize and drink alcohol. The men and the women of my Grandma's group would split up, since such establishments' entrances were segregated based on sex. The lounge interiors were also segregated: men and women each had their own exclusive sections, cordoned off by drapes, whilst there was also a 3rd section where the two sexes could socialize together. All of my Grandma's friends would meet up in the mixed section, where they'd sit down, order some drinks and have fun.

What I loved so much about hearing this story was that after 1 or 2 beers, my Grandmother and all her friends would most of the time all start signing together and cause an all-out ruckus (well, 1930s-style ruckus) until they'd get thrown out of the hotel's lounge. They'd then go to find the next hotel and repeat the process.

Hehehe, if there was genetic evidence for the fun I have with friends, bars and alcohol, here it is. Of course, I don't dare to imply I'm as badass as her.

1 comment:

JUSTIN said...

I love the fact that my Mom's parents were my age when they lived in my neighborhood, and the bars they used to go to are still around, albeit in slightly less of a classy fashion.