Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Smingus Dingus Day

My friend let me know about a wonderful (or horrible, depending on which role you play) day that she's been celebrating most of her life: Smingus Dingus Day.

Early in the morning on Smingus Dingus Day, according to the Polish tradition since my friend is indeed Polish, boys awake the girls they like by pouring a bucket of water on their heads and striking them with tree branches. No, I'm not kidding. Check Wikipedia if you'd like.

A more common, English name, for this holiday is Easter Monday. And so, this past Monday my friend decided to introduce her boyfriend (yup, role reversals since she's a girl) to her Polish heritage by waking him up with ice cold water and beatings. This is her boyfriend moments after being shocked out of his sleep. Maybe he's trying to dry off or maybe he's deciding if a back-hand is an inappropriate response - who knows.

I am making a mental note to add this to the repertoire of holidays/anniversaries/celebrations to which I partake.

1 comment:

JUSTIN said...

Hilarious. Gotta love the Polish - just stay away from the Malort (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malört). Yes, it's a Swedish liquor, but the only people I know that drink it here are Polish.