Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fire in the City

"I'm back in Montreal on Tuesday, so it's time to have a bonfire!" Excellent, a Facebook-event right up my alley.

We were the first to arrive at the gathering spot, so we found some wood (half-destroyed chairs found on railway tracks burn surprisingly well), set it up tepee-style and lit the fire. It didn't take too long for others to find us and begin roasting-up some marshmallows. After about 2 hours, there were 15 bodies around the fire.


The fire pit location was in a small, lost plot of trees/brush surrounded by a cement wasteland, overpass and train tracks. No residential places in direct sight. No cars driving through this area at night (or during the day even). Rarely a soul moving about, other than our own. Perfect.


Nothing eventful really happened, but it was nice to talk and gaze at the fire. The police ended up driving by and staring at us. They just looked at us, and the 15 of us looked back at them and continued talking. The police realized that doing anything to us would just cause them trouble. I also like to believe they knew we weren't up-to-no-good, so they pretended they never saw us.

Xav, myself, and the Montreal-visitor, who arranged the event, went off through the brush to gather some more wood. One reason I really like this place, apart from the seclusion while still being in the middle of the city, is that it's right next to the bus-graveyard. The city stores all it's old, hacked-up buses here. This has made for fun exploring and mischief: jumping along bus rooftops, in the rain, is pretty damn awesome.


Unfortunately, it seems the city was tired of hooligans such as ourselves, having fun with the buses. Only two were left. *Tear* for the bus graveyard.


We returned to the gathering, with fresh wood. I don't know why, but the (former) bus-graveyard has so much good burning-wood to collect. We threw the logs onto the pile and sat back down.

Xav: So apart from work, friends, family and all that, how are you actually feeling these days Thomas?

Me: I'm doing really well. I've honestly been really happy over the last year. No hedonic treadmill for me. Life is good.

Xav: Good.


Soon enough, Xav and I said our goodbyes to the group and went walking along the train tracks, back to where our bikes were hidden. We agreed on plans for skiing/snowboarding this winter. I told him I'm thinking of visiting some US cities in January, since my job gives me that freedom. He thought it was a good idea.

On the ride back home, Xav mentions the "Perfect Guy from the Abandoned Building". I swoon and day-dream for a second. That gave me just enough time to almost run into a parked car. I tell Xav that he's a jackass.

Lying down in my bed, I notice that my face feels warm from the campfire and that my hair smells like it as well. It's a good feeling. Life is good.

No comments: