Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Art


When I was a little kid, I really got into crafting, painting and drawing. Like anyone in primary school, I loved to be expressive and creative. As I remember, I tended to focus on animals and scenarios where Mario (Mario Brothers anyone?) would have to avoid the bad guys and traps to get from one side of the sheet to another. There was also a show on TV that involved taking throw-away containers and gluing them together to make a monster. Apparently, I took the program to heart because I would take old boxes from our recycling bin, attach googly-eyes and feathers to them and try to sell my little monster creations on the street for 75 cents each. Man, I was so adorable.


I always liked to draw, but I almost entirely stopped practicing through highschool and CEGEP. Nothing really forced me to drop it, but my science courses didn't allow me to enroll in the art class at my school. My laziness didn't help the situation any more either.

Only in the last 2 to 4 years have I gotten back into drawing and painting. If you recall my previous post, I tended to go through episodes of intense depression, around the age of 17 to 22. I'm sure a psychiatrist/psychologist would have a name for it, however this post isn't about that. My "depressive attacks" would always happen in the evening or night. Maybe this means I'm a werewolf, but, again, that has nothing to do with this post. As the frequency of these "episodes" subsided, I would get hit with this intense urge to pick up some sort of pencil or brush and just create. What was I drawing? It didn't matter; anything. I just felt the inspiration and the need.


Sounds lame right? I think so too, but I just couldn't stop it. Normally during the day I would go about my normal Thomas-like things and ever so often, as the moon rose, I would get the urge to create something on paper. Not only night time but rain gets me in the mood too. I am just so weird.

Nothing I drew or painted was ever amazing, but it was mine. I'm sure any 14 year-old could easily beat me, but I just love doing it. I feel so relaxed and happy to combine simple lines, shapes and colors to form some image I had or have in my mind. When I lived in my old apartment, I started painting on the living room wall once or twice a week, at about midnight. I'd put on an album by The Books or Ratatat and I'd just let the hand flow. A few ugly pictures [that my roommates had put on the wall when we first moved in] became about 30 separate drawings. I loved to just sit in my living room and stare at the wall. I posted a few pictures up here, of the little images I liked on my wall. You can also see a very miniature picture of the entire wall on the right side of the screen, as my profile picture.


I did also dabble in a bit of writing, but I was never very good at it or inspired enough. Of course this blog seems to be something else, but maybe I should analyze this some other time...

If any of you ever get a creative rush, for whatever reason, just go with it. It doesn't matter how good or bad that you are. Just go with it.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

Ratatat kicks ass! I finally just got to see them live!

Thomas said...

Fuck, they were here last week but the tickets were soldout a month ago. You're so damn lucky.