Thursday, October 9, 2008

Good Things to Watch

My blog needs more an up-beat image. I'm not going to get rid of depressing back-history about me or the introspection, however there need to be some happier posts. I should probably talk less personally, since I doubt I can really write about that forever. To go-along with this new theme, here are two depressing movies you should all see. They're mostly about introspection and people being fucked up!

Haha, suckers.

Both the movies are a little less mainstream, although very much high-quality and entertaining. I don't think either of them really got any time in movie theaters, which according to me is just fine.

The first movie is Imaginary Heroes, featuring plenty of recognizable faces, although in an independent movie atmosphere. What does independent translate to? Effectively: either a re-enactement of someone's birth from the womb, through dance, OR a movie with a clever plot and underlying meaning. I'm not much for the whole "womb" and accessories, so I only watch the good plot movies.


Imaginary Heroes focuses around how the members of a family cope after the prodigy in the family commits suicide, although the two main characters are the Mom (Sigourney Weaver) and the younger brother (Emile Hirsh). Good overall message in the movie.

The second movie I'm recommending has on a much darker tone. It's not well known, but definitely worth the time. 2:37 is an Australian movie that begins with a character committing suicide at 2:37 pm, and then rewinds to the beginning of the day. The plot then follows a bunch of teenagers, with atypical backgrounds (ranging from sad to seriously fucked up), as they go through the day and unwittingly contribute to the character's suicide that we saw at the beginning. Half of the movie also features an interview-style, so you really get to understand how the characters think. I should warn you, this isn't a happy-feeling movie, although there a few mindless, ogling scenes:


There are plenty of reasons to like this movie, one especially being that some kind soul uploaded the entire movie onto YouTube. Below is Part1.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

"2:37" looks interesting but NetFlix doesn't have it. Damn!

"Boy A" might be right up your alley though.

Thomas said...

Wow, that's a creepy coincidence - I just downloaded "Boy A" while working today. I'll have to watch it now.