Friday, October 3, 2008

My Family Part 1

It's odd how I've written so much about how I've dealt with being a gay teenager and young adult but have yet to mention my family. Well, I think it's time for you all to learn about them.

Mr and Mrs Thomas Who Knows are proud of their 3 boys. The eldest has always been a go-getter and leader. He shows an air of confidence and being in control. He is very thoughtful of others and always buys the perfect Christmas gifts. The middle child has always been the smartest and curious when it comes to school and mechanics. If you ever need help understanding how your computer works, he is the one to call up. Opposite from his musical and expressive older brother, he is better described as the strong, silent type. A former university track athlete, he loves to drink and party with the guys although he will rarely open up about the previous night's shenanigans or his feelings. The youngest of the family, named Thomas, is....um....
....well, I'm not very good at describing myself in four sentences. I know I tend to be the funniest and most open to unusual activities (painting on wall? Climbing abandoned buildings!? GASP!). I think the last 2 weeks of blog entries should serve as a good intro to who I am. Suffice to say, we three brothers are distinct from one-another. Besides, I don't think I'd be able to keep writing in the 3rd perspective, of a 1950s narrator.


I'd say my Dad is the relaxed adult, who loves his wife and kids but tends to get caught up in doing his own things, as a university professor and avid golfer/curler. He has the tendency to only remember and care about things he personally likes. It's a family past-time to make loving jokes about how he tends to have no idea what's going on around him and how he can be so damn stubborn and stuck in his ways.

My Mom really does get most of the credit for raising us. She always made it her business to ask what we're doing and how we're feeling. She always found time for us, even with her high-powered, high-paying and time consuming job. She's the one always asking "And what are you going to be doing in 2 years from now...", since she's spent all her life making plans and wants to instill in us the ability to think ahead. Oh ya, all those who dare cross her or her children's path should be afraid because she can become a force of nature.

If one wanted to stereotype my family, I'd say we're the half-Canadian, half-British WASP prototype.

I like my family. They're good people. If you've read my older posts, you know that I was a pretty screwed up kid. I didn't deal with being gay very well. That very much did affect the way I interacted and still interact with my family. At this moment, they still don't know I'm gay. To say this as simply as possible, my family (in particular my Mom and Dad) like to believe they know everything about me, since I am the youngest and was always so talkative with them. In reality, they know almost nothing about me, my personality, my past troubles and I'm scared that they have already lost me and I have already lost them.

Dramatic way of putting it right? Not very clear as well? Yup, well you'll have to wait around for the explanation in my next post.

No comments: