Thursday, November 27, 2008

Familiarity, Comfort & Attraction

Over a year ago, I came to understand that my romantic affection for someone relates very strongly to my familiarity and comfort with them. I do find myself attracted to complete strangers, based purely on looks, but the most enduring attraction is that which develops with friends.

From my point of view, it's a pretty natural extension of the friendship-type of affection. As I get to know someone, I understand their personality, their likes and what entertains them. Similarly, the other person also gets used to my personality and what I like. Once you really know a person, the both of you know how to act and what ways to approach each other. It kind of sounds like I'm talking about cruising, but I don't mean it like that. For example, when you hang out with your best friends, you all understand how to speak to each other, what type of stories are fun to talk about and what type of things to do. With Tim and Mike I play hockey and mostly make sleazy/amazing sex jokes. With Xav, I talk about music, subversion, "hipster" things and go city-exploring.
Well, at the level where I'm so familiar and comfortable with someone, I inevitably find myself attracted to them. As a friend, they make me happy and I make them happy so that little mental-step from friendship-attraction to romantic-attraction is pretty small in my mind.

When I started fooling around with my ex-roomie, it was because I felt that sense of familiarity and comfort that attracts me to guys. I definitely didn't think he was good-looking, but our personalities got along really well. Even with my straight guy friends (with Xav, Tim and Mike as exceptions), as I got to know each one better I found myself attracted to them more and more. This especially rang true for an acquaintance I got a job for at my work, who then hung out with me all the time. Damn it, he's so good looking! Hmm, I'll have to talk about him in another post. He does deserve a name.



Since I see my attraction to people being based a lot on the natural outcome of friendship, I find it just as natural for friends to hook-up sometimes, without wanting a relationship.

Of course I don't have any real gay friends that I would call up to go to out to a bar, so maybe my thinking is a little fucked up. But oh well.

No comments: