Wednesday, February 18, 2009

To Whey or Not to Whey

It's a fact that my body does not gain weight easily, whether it's muscle or fat. Yes, I'm sure some of you readers are right now thinking FUCK YOU THOMAS, and yes I do realize that a good 50% of the people on this planet wish they had this "problem". At this point in my life though, I find it annoying because I want to bulk up. No, I don't want to be some huge guy with muscled man-boobies, but I would like to build up a bit. Let's arbitrarily say I want to add on 15 pounds of muscle. I don't want to do this overnight, but let's say that over the next 6 months would be great (even that is quite optimistic, from the point of view of knowing my own body).

(Yes, I realize I will be losing "Hipster Points" by not being skinny. That's some fallout I'm willing to accept.)

For the last 5 months, I've been genuinely trying to add those pounds on. I've been increasing my meal portion sizes and the increasing of the percentage of protein I eat. I did notice an increase in muscle, but all the same my weight didn't change at all. From your points of view, just give me the benefit of the doubt that I'm a smart-cookie and I know the right weight lifting techniques, sets,&reps and general exercise stuff too.

Although I'm very pro going the all-natural way to weight lifting and weight gain, I need some help now. That's why, for the last few weeks, I've been strongly considering adding protein supplements to my weight-workout regime. Ok, maybe regime is a strong word...how about mild weight-lifting endeavour? Ya, that sounds more like it. Reeeaaaaaaaaaaalllllll manly way to word it too. *sarcasm* How about focused weight lifting? Hmm, I like that one.

Ok, ok, back on topic.

Specifically, I think I'm going to start taking Whey Protein.

I've done the research and there's nothing specifically bad about it. Still, I don't feel confident about just throwing my face into the powder. I'm the type of person that doesn't like to take medication or supplements, without really needing it. For example, I have Aspirin/Tylenol, but if I get a headache (which is never) I'll be a trooper and try to last through it or just go to bed.

So to give me that little push of confidence I need, I've also gone to my manly friends for their advice:

Tim has always been big into working out. He would make love to his Bowflex if he could. He started using whey protein about a month ago and he really likes it. He strongly encourages me to try the whey, or some other protein supplement, because he feels and sees that it has made a big difference for him over such a short period. His drunken catch phrase is also mildly convinsing:

"I'M GETTING HUUUUGGGGEEEEEE!"

Kieran has also always been into working out and exercise in general. Although he prefers to play ice-hockey or go zooming down the rapids of north-western Quebec, he owns all the full mini-gym set of equipment. That also includes the pull-up bar, placed conveniently in the most accessible doorway of his apartment, which I run my head into constantly. He quasi-laughed at me for suggesting taking whey protein.

"You studied the effects of large doses of protein on your kidneys and liver! You know know taking that stuff is just dumb."

He is right about the damage, but only if I'm taking a huge excess of the stuff. His alternative though wasn't a good substitute:

"Don't worry about that stuff, you'll eventually gain the weight the natural way."

Pppfffttt, fuck that - no I won't, unless you're talking about the next 50 years of growing older.


Unless anyone has something to tell me, I think I'll probably stop by the drug store and pick up some whey protein tomorrow or Friday.

2 comments:

JUSTIN said...

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

HST

Thomas said...

I am grateful you took your time to write this response, in between one of your many Gin & Meth-induced anonymous rape/sex orgies.