Friday, February 20, 2009

Watch and Don't Learn

What makes a good friend is that even when you try to steer the ones you care about in the right direction, and then they go off course, you're still there to get them going the right way again.

Knowing this though, it's still so frustrating to see these people I care about make such poor decisions, in my opinion. It's not just once or twice - for the same type of situation, these people consistently make the same mistake over and over.

----------

When it comes to relationships, Kieran is like a superhero: he constantly searches for women that have problems and need saving. It's no secret to any of us: Kieran needs to feel needed.
Since these women have such serious issues, they inevitably lash out at people, in particular Kieran. The person he is in a relationship is both what keeps him down and what keeps him going.

This week, I covered a work-meeting for Kieran because he went to checkout a new potential apartment, for himself and his girlfriend. He's going to leave his current 2 relaxed roommates prematurely, to move in with his girlfriend of 6 months. Oh yes, let me also mention that his girlfriend has previous broken up with him 3 times before. Only once in the last 6 months though.

Moving on...

A lady-friend of mine met a guy a few years ago. Although he constantly yelled at her all the time, and was generally a misogynistic pig, she fell in love with him after 6 months. Our greater group of friends banded together in hate of him. We held a quasi-intervention, so that she realized how we all felt. The two broke up for a short period, but later got back together. In all honesty, the guy's behaviour and attitude improved. Even after 1 year of dating, when they decided to get engaged and "accidentally" have a baby, I was genuinely warming up to him.

4 months after giving birth, my friend decided to break up with the guy. He lacks ambition, was the main reason.

A few months after the break up, she has found her "soul mate" in Philadelphia and commutes down every 2nd week to visit him. She attempted to get early acceptance to a university in Philly, so as to be near her new love as much as possible. She decided she would even move in with him after 6 months of dating. Of course, she felt the baby was fine staying back here in Montreal, with her parents and the father. Who cares is she would only see him during summer break, she's in love...

Moving On...

Remember Mike? I'd be surprised if you do, because I almost never mention him. He's just never around, because he practically doesn't see anyone apart from his girlfriend these days. Tim Xav and I, his 3 closest friends, had a conversation about him the other week. Xav declared his friendship to Mike to be essentially dead. Myself and Tim took the neutral point of view that Mike is just being stupid and lazy. He makes no effort and assumes everything stays normal.

Mike sent us all a message to go out this Friday. I already know the reason why - his girlfriend went to New York for the weekend. Xav and my immediate response was "Sorry buddy, we're busy". In Montreal, buddy, or bud, are not terms of affection. We did have genuinely other plans, which Mike obviously knew nothing of since we haven't spoken to him (in person, by phone or over Facebook) in more than a month.

We all found a better suited time to meet up though. We know Mike isn't going to change any time soon, and we've accepted that we don't know how many more times him and his girlfriend will separate for a weekend.

----------

I try to make them realize they shouldn't do some of these particular things, but they're convinced they've thought it out for the best. As long as I've said what I thought, all I can do is sit back and see how it goes.

I like to think that they can keep their cool as well, when I follow my path down to that same mistake, just like them. I'm not kidding myself here, I know I'm probably just like them.

No comments: