Monday, February 2, 2009

Watching the Game

Although I'm always up for going out to play whatever sport with friends, I don't really think much (either positively or negatively) about watching them on TV. It just doesn't interest me. I love going to the Montreal Canadian's games in person - you can't help but get into the action and excitement, along with the other 20 000 people at the arena - or even baseball (back before Montreal sold the Expos), but that same feeling doesn't get translated through the TV.

Did I watch the Super Bowl last night? Well, ya. Even with my neutral feelings toward watching sports on TV, I do rack up a fair share of hours watching televised sports, in particular the Canadian's games. Of course, the only reason for this is my friends. They like watching the games (hockey, football) and hanging out. I like hanging out. Therefore, I watch the games too. Nothing wrong with ordering in greasy food, drinking beer and talking a lot, with the TV on... except when they they start obsessing over stats and hockey pools, as if they're jerking each other off.

Yes, Xav and I have created a hand signal for when Tim and Mike talk too much about their hockey pools and points: it's the ever-so appropriate signal for handjob or waking-off.

Obviously, I knew nothing about the Cardinals and Steelers leading up to the Super Bowl, so most of the night was spent making fun things. Along with Tim and another friend's sharp eyes and quick wit, we concluded that Omar Epps, who plays a doctor on the TV show House, makes a very good coach. Who knew he had the time for 2 days jobs.

Omar acting, in the top-right corner


Omar on the field

Perhaps this was a lot more hilarious after we had all drank a bit...but only a little.

On a completely unrelated note, I can't wait until 3 weeks from now when friends and I will be up at someone's cottage playing ice hockey on the lake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting read. lets trade links! as told by c.